you're just as far in as you'll ever be out - icecatcher

Pyrebranch

No Need For The Veil Of Darkness
Feb 26, 2021
Bones

///tw for self-destructive behavior!!!! @Icecatcher

Pyre was small, thin, and mostly kept to himself. It wasn't exactly a secret that he hadn't been taking the best care of himself. Still, Pyre didn't particularly want the other cats of WindClan to know how badly he was taking care of himself. He'd fake slumber during the nights, and sneak off when mostly everyone was asleep if he had something he felt he needed to do, and when he did chose to eat, he would do it in front of everyone so they absolutely knew that he was eating regularly.

It was one of those nights where he didn't have anything he needed to do, so he just kept trying to feign sleep in his nest. His stomach growled, and he let out a soft huff, careful to not wake anyone else. Maybe staying here right now wasn't the best idea. He needed to distract himself. As silently as possible, he made his way out into the camp, trying to keep himself hidden. However, tonight Pyre wasn't doing a particularly good job of hiding, feeling somewhat dizzy with hunger. Still, he wouldn't, couldn't, let anyone notice him.

"Speech"
can you even scream the dreams you swore would never go out? Ω tags
Name: Pyre
Pronouns: He/Him
Group: WindClan
Appearance: Red tabby tom with short fur and pale gold eyes.

Reactions: Icecatcher

Icecatcher

Yelling at rocks
Mar 4, 2021
Bones
One molly in camp had the weirdest schedule ever - it changed all the time. Her problem? Too many exciting things to do! Having never made herself a proper nest, the calico could often be found lingering by her friends, right outside the camp or even falling asleep on the moor while stargazing... tonight, however, she was actually in camp, though buzzing with energy that kept her awake. Not far from where she lay, comfortable snuggled in between her friends, she could hear another restless cat. Curiously, Icecatcher raised her head to find the other, but it was dark; the moon was faint and its silvery glow did not reach far, but - yes, there! - along the outskirts of the camp was a dark figure, shrouded by shadows, sneaking (sneaking? The she-cat frowned, it looked more like bumbling) along.

It didn't take long for Icecatcher to carefully remove herself from where she lay, her friends only breathing soft sighs as they dreamed. As she neared the other cat, now recognisable as Pyre, she whispered to the red tabby, "hey! You alright? Can't sleep?" A growl from his stomach made her widen her eyes, "ooooh, I can't sleep on a hungry belly either! Want to see what's on the freshkill pile?"

Reactions: Pyrebranch

Pyrebranch

Feb 26, 2021
Bones

Perhaps he had overestimated himself. He blinked softly at the older she-cat, letting out a sigh. "I suppose I could go for a small meal," he muttered, trying to blink the exhaustion out of his eyes.

Actually, when was the last time he had actually slept? Pyre couldn't remember. Maybe he needed to just give in and try to sleep for once. Now that there was someone watching over him, he wasn't exactly sure he could force himself to sleep for real.

Nevertheless, he took Icecatcher's advice and made his way to the fresh-kill pile. Golden eyes scanning over the items, Pyre picked out one of the smallest pieces of prey, a tiny shrew, and began to eat it, averting his gaze from the calico, hoping that, maybe she'd just leave him alone now that he had eaten.

"Speech"

Icecatcher

Yelling at rocks
Mar 4, 2021
Bones
Thoughts of food made the calico hungry; she hadn't realised that her last meal had been breakfast and she nearly rolled her eyes at herself. Whenever she forgot to eat she would always wake up ravenous and feel slightly weird about eating the biggest piece of prey on the pile. Thus she decided that eating something now would be much better than when the sun rose again. "You know what, I will join you!" She meowed and picked a plump thrush from the pile, seating herself down by the red-furred tom who seemed to try to eat as fast and quietly as possible. The calico was however not blind and once she had gotten used to the dark, she could easily see that Pyre wasn't eating as much as she'd expected from the growling of his stomach. Narrowed eyes would thus shoot sneaky glances at the tom while she took a bite into her own food.

"You know, either you've eaten really fast or you've not eaten much. I know that stomach will keep you awake if you don't eat some more," she commented, knowing very well how uncomfortable an empty stomach was. Pushing her unfinished thrush towards the tom she gave a smile and chirped, "here, we can share my thrush! A full belly is much easier to fall asleep on than a growling one!"

Pyrebranch

Feb 26, 2021
Bones

So it seemed Icecatcher wasn't going to leave him alone. That was fine. He played the part of an invisible kitten once, so he could definitely play the part of an almost fully grown tom who took care of himself. Pyre let out a sigh however, and flattened his ears. Nothing was going to plan for him that night.

"Uh, thank you," he quietly meowed. Hesitantly, he took the the rest of the thrush and began to eat it, slowly, agonizingly slowly, as if he was trying to savor every bite. Maybe if he took too long she'd leave him alone and he could make his escape out of the camp to hunt and make up for what he had eaten.

He... actually wasn't sure what to do in a situation like this. He usually was pretty stealthy when sneaking off into the night to hunt or do some solo training, and he was usually pretty good about hiding his hunger. Were all those skipped meals starting to add up? Pyre did eat somewhat though, he ate small meals when it was absolutely necessary. It started to dawn on him that he really couldn't remember the last time he properly slept, nor could he remember the last time he had a decent meal. Why did he feel... nervous about this? Why was it bothering him enough to make him start to pick up the pace with eating, and want run away and hide?

"Speech"

Icecatcher

Yelling at rocks
Mar 4, 2021
Bones
There was too much energy buzzing in Icecatcher for the calico to even contemplate leaving Pyre to eat alone. She was elated that he didn't say no to the thrush - she honestly wasn't sure if she could fall asleep if he couldn't - and so watched him intently in what she believed was companionable silence (it could also easily be described as eerily creepy). The molly began humming quietly to herself as she sat by the flame-pelted tom, casting her eyes up at the dark night sky; the moon was partially hidden behind streaky clouds and the stars gleamed pale and cold. This was why she enjoyed sleeping without a roof over her head - all the stages of night could be seen from where she lay in the silent hours and sometimes the sky would turn pale pink, heralding the coming of dawn, before she realised she'd stayed awake all night.

Perhaps, she thought, Pyre and I could find a comfortable spot and watch the stars together. She wanted to get to know all her clanmates better so why not now while the two of them were awake? "You know," she began slowly, checking to see how much he'd eaten of the bird, "we should go find a comfy spot outside the camp. We can watch the stars together and talk about... I guess anything. Everything!" She hoped that he, on a fuller belly, would join her in staring at the stars until they inevitably became so drowsy that they would drop off into dreamland...

Pyrebranch

Feb 26, 2021
Bones

"I don't have anything to talk about," It was an instant response, somewhat defensive, somewhat shy, somewhat nervous. But, watching stars didn't sound horrible. He didn't like to talk about himself, and he'd much rather listen to Icecatcher, but maybe he could convince her to just let him listen to her. "Though, I suppose if there is something you'd like to talk about, I can listen.

"Speech"

Icecatcher

Yelling at rocks
Mar 4, 2021
Bones
Surprise was evident on Icecatcher's face as her head snapped round to give Pyre an incredulous stare. The image of a smoky tom rose to her minds eye as remembered the last time a cat didn't have anything to talk about. Fang, her best friend, was so shy and had taken a lot of nudging before he would start their conversations. But she was so proud of how confident he'd become, especially with his new name. Perhaps Pyre was the same? The calico was just about to ask if Pyre was afraid of her or something, but then he spoke again - a satisfied smirk rested upon her maw when he didn't tell her to leave - and she grinned, "sure I have! I can tell you about the huuuuge forest I had to get through to reach the moor..."
Once Pyre had finished eating, the calico lead them through to gorse tunnel; she knew the other cats probably would appreciate if they weren't woken by her cursing at how annoying it was to travel through the undergrowth! Finding a soft and comfortable spot where they could easily relax and stare at the stars, she stretched out and looked to Pyre, hoping he would do the same.

Pyrebranch

Feb 26, 2021
Bones

"The journeys we all took to get here were all long and tedious," Pyre nodded, relating to having to walk and travel for some time. But it was worth it. Here, he meant something. Here, he had cats he cared about, even if he didn't particularly know how to show it. He made himself comfortable, glancing up at the stars.

"We came here for a reason, guided by fate and the stars. One day we'll become stars as well," he mumbled softly.. The red tabby then turned to the calico, as if urging her to tell the story.

"Speech"

Icecatcher

Yelling at rocks
Mar 4, 2021
Bones
Huge sky-blue eyes turned to the red tabby and nodded solemnly. "It's all in the stars, I'm convinced now," her voice was husky, as if ready to tell a bedtime story to the kits of the clan. Her audience however only consisted of Pyre, but that was alright; kits would interrupt each other and never reach the end of the story, but Pyre was older than the bumbling children of the clan! "Our paws lead us to this moor, to be together, part of WindClan. Part of the stars. Look how brilliantly they gleam!" She added and turned her face towards the huge expanse of glittery black night. "One day, we will become part of that greatness and guide future cats to the moor... but that's not the story, no!" Icecatcher turned to look at Pyre once again and adopted a more chipper voice, "I spent a whole moon travelling alone, looking for something, anything. I didn't know at that time that I was looking for a new home, and if I hadn't been confronted I would probably have moved on. Who knows where I might have ended up?"

For a moment the calico was silent, truly wondering where she might have ended up if she hadn't stayed in WindClan. Would she still be travelling? Would she have found another moor to live on? Maybe she would've found the mountains! There were so many possibilities... "The last stretch of my journey I travelled through a forest. I don't know if you like trees, but I certainly don't like them! The undergrowth is also a pain to travel through; my pelt kept on getting snagged on branches and hidden roots would trip me up..." The story was turning into less of a story and more of a ramble, but this did not bother the calico. Curious herself, she turned to her companion and asked, "what about you? How did you get here, Pyre?"

Pyrebranch

Feb 26, 2021
Bones

That... was a story he didn't particularly want to tell in total detail. He hadn't particularly told anyone about his life as kittypet after the day he first joined. So, he simplified things.

"I was a kittypet, but I was... separated from my family and twolegs. I travelled for a long time with no idea where I was going. I only ate when I had to and I barely slept. Until I found myself here, that is. This... the moors are my home now, and I don't plan on leaving unless I absolutely have to." Pyre's voice wavered slightly as he sighed, looking at his paws. Was he feeling guilty for not telling the entire story? He wasn't exactly lying, but...

Nevertheless, the tabby didn't want to talk about his feelings or pour his heart out to her. They were... kinda friends, he supposed but... he wasn't sure if he was ready to trust her with all the emotional baggage he was carrying. Instead, Pyre just looked up at the stars once more, somewhat lost in thought. ...He was getting drowsy now. Had that been the calico's plan all along? If it wa,s it was definitely working.

"Speech"
you’ll remain a cheap imitation, that’s just boring, right? Ω tags

Icecatcher

Yelling at rocks
Mar 4, 2021
Bones
Twolegs, weird hairless creatures she often wondered about. She didn't know that Pyre had lived with twolegs before, but it hardly bothered her anyway. Many of the cats had referred to themselves as housecats before joining WindClan and it wasn't as if they were worse warriors for it. However he seemed to confirm her suspicion - Pyre wasn't very good at taking care of himself. She wasn't sure what made him eat so little, or wait so long before finally reacting to his hunger, but she knew it couldn't be good for him. Hunger pangs were what made Icecatcher remember to go put some food in her stomach, but if one ignored them... She was honestly just glad that she had offered the flame-pelted tom the rest of her thrush. A yawn then interrupted her thoughts and she lay her head down on her paws, curling her tail so the tip brushed her nose and she purred softly, "I'm getting tired. It was really nice talking with you, Pyre. We should share a few more meals together and get to know each other better... I can... I can tell you a few more stories... and you could... perhaps as well..." Blue eyes shone brightly in the dark as she smiled softly towards the tom before a wave of sleep overcame the calico and her eyes fluttered shut.

// we can finish it here if you want ^_^

Reactions: Pyrebranch